In 2018, cryptocurrencies once again proved that they are not just another fashionable trend, but an important part of the global economy. Of course, in the headlines you can basically find two of the most popular crypto-coins: Bitcoin and Ethereum. But in fact, there are more than 1,500 cryptocurrencies that are used for investing, working and transactions.
In this article, we present the TOP 5 of the most popular cryptocurrencies, whose level of capitalization and day tradingTrading
– is an economic term that means the process of independent trade, independent analysis of the market and the conclusion of trade transactions.Details on the stock-exchanges was the highest in the outgoing 2018.
The original and most widely used cryptocurrency. Currently, there are more than 16.8 million Bitcoins in circulation (with a known limited limit of 21 million).
The market capitalization of Bitcoin varies significantly from day to day, but the record maximum recorded is more than $ 200 billion. Bitcoin, as before, remains the most popular cryptocurrency in the world, the so-called "digital gold".
Although many critics of crypto-coins suggest that high volatilityVolatility
– is a financial term that means a statistical indicator of price change. In the cryptocurrency world, it is used by traders as an indicator for managing financial risks. That is, it is a measure of trade risk and as a financial analytical tool for gambling. Details, high power consumption for miningMining
– is a type of activity for creating new blocks in the Blockchain to ensure proper system operation. Details and higher transactionTransaction
– is a financial term that means a logically meaningful operation that can only be carried out completely. Details fees will limit the growth of a cryptocurrency asset.
The average rate at the end of 2018: $ 3874.53
Ethereum was originally called the provider of "decentralized applications." The platform and cryptocurrency were originally developed as a supercomputer of the "global network". The purpose of Ethereum technology: the creation of decentralized applications using smart-contracts based on the blockchainBlockchain
is a continuous and sequential block chain of information (digital linked list). When building a blockchain, copies of related blocks are simultaneously stored on multiple computers.Details using a well-known protocol (ERC20).
Applications developed on Ethereum are on a distributed, publicly accessible platform where miners can earn ETH to feed the network.
The average rate at the end of 2018: $ 131.99
Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
This is a Bitcoin forkFork
– is the intentional use of one code base of a software project to start another. That is, changing the blockchain code to split it into two.Details that was launched in the summer of 2017. At the moment (especially after the recent hardforkHardfork
– a fundamental change in the source code, incompatible with the old protocol and the used software.Details on CV), asset popularity has skyrocketed. The size of one block of Bitcoin Cash is 8 MB, which is four times as large as that of Bitcoin. Thanks to this, it became possible to conduct quick transactions of an improved sample with additional protection.
The average rate at the end of 2018: $ 177.41
Cryptocurrency is known as "Bitcoin's younger brother". Litecoin resembles the well-known Bitcoin in the sense that it is also a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency, but has higher transaction speeds, as well as a significantly higher tokenToken
– is an accounting unit that is used to represent a digital balance in an asset.Details limit – 84 million coins.
However, the LTC mining process requires more memory, and the market capitalization of cryptocurrency is about 1/20 of the size of Bitcoin's capitalization.
The average rate at the end of 2018: $ 32.02
Ripple was designed as a centralized transactional network that can be used by banks for money transfer almost the same as the SWIFT system.
Ripple cryptocurrency allows you to make "instant" payments without fees. In the platform payment network it is possible to exchange currencies and goods (stocks, precious metals, fiat money) online.
The average rate at the end of 2018: $ 0.37
Editor: Pereyidenko Ihor